Gardening is certainly an ideal way of enjoying the outdoor, getting physical activity, beautifying the community and growing beautiful plants and nutritious and healthy vegetables and fruits. However, despite the beauty and excitement of gardening, you need to realize that safety and healthy should also be a priority. It is therefore essential to be sun safe while gardening.
Knowing Your Limit in the Heat – An Effective Way to Protect Yourself
Despite going out for shorter periods, high temperatures can still pose serious health issues. You therefore need to monitor you activities under the sun to reduce the risks of health problems like heart-related ailments.
When gardening under the sun, you need to do the following to ensure your protection:
- Drink lots of fluids
- Avoid drinks which contain high amount of sugar or alcohol.
- Your love and passion for gardening are given but make sure to take some breaks. Rest on shaded areas so your body thermostat can recover.
- Eat healthy foods that keep you hydrated and energized.
The Great Significance of Being Sun Safe
The importance or significance of being sun safe while gardening can never be denied.
- Being sun safe while gardening is highly important because this reduce the risks of suffering from heat-related illnesses such as ultimately high blood pressure, rapid pulse, nausea, dizziness, headache and unconsciousness.
- Being sun safe is also important especially to individuals who are overweight but have strong passion and interest for gardening. Overweight individuals usually suffer from hypertension so working in the garden with intense heat of the sun can put them in danger. Being sun safe is therefore crucial.
- Being sun safe also reduce the risks of developing skin cancer. Studies revealed that moderate exposure to the sun and at healthy levels is safe and necessary. On the other hand, extreme and burning sun exposure is dangerous and can lead to increased risk of developing skin cancer.
If you are a beginner or professional gardener, you need to keep in mind that health and safety are top priorities. This is actually where the real importance of being sun safe while gardening comes in. Though sun is crucial for gardeners especially when growing and cultivating their plants, gardeners have to note that excessive sun heat and exposure is not good for them for this can put their health and safety in great compromise. So to make things clear, being sun safe is of absolute importance.
Gardening is an enjoyable pursuit not just for you but for the entire family. However, the heat of the sun and unwanted insects can start serious problems so make sure that you are sun safe and you understand the significance of being sun safe while gardening. Make sure to wear hats, use sunscreen, wear sturdy and comfortable shoes and stay hydrated. Take a break if needed.
Fitness, relaxation and fun all sounds like a dream vacation in a resort however believe it or not, these can all be found in your backyard garden. Gardening is also considered a whole body workout allowing individuals to reap what they sowed. This also provides opportunity to ideally reconnect with nature and family or friends. So, better grab your shovel now and go out but make sure that you are sun safe.