What is a weed?
A weed is an invasive and often unwanted plant that grows along the actual plant and consumes up nutrients, sunlight and space, thus inhibiting the growth of the actual planted plant. Weeds grow by spreading seeds through winds, waterways, animal movements, machinery and other human activities. There are a lot of different types of weeds which are classified according to their growing patterns and their aesthetics: color, shape, and the flowers they produce, how long they can grow and under what conditions they can grow. Gardeners hate weeds and kill them using weed killers, you can also buy weed killers from bestweedkillers.com website, they provide original products.
This piece of information deals about a specific type of weed that is called Plantain Weed. It is generally considered that all weeds are harmful and do not have any benefit, but for plantain weeds this generalization seems wrong. Plantain weed also has advantages for the mankind.
Some facts about plantain weed:
History and Family of Plantain weed:
Known as “white man’s foot” to the Native American, plantain is considered to be 200 years old and it has nearly as many uses. It is considered to be one of the nine sacred herbs and is regarded as “mother of herbs” in Anglo-Saxon poetry. Plantain is native to northern and central parts of Asia and Europe.
Plantain is a member of Plantaginaceae family. Two species of plantain, valued medicinally primarily for the seed, are Plantago psyllium L. and Plantago indica, also known as flea seed and plantago. The dried, ripe seeds of these species, generally called psyllium, is high in mucilage and is widely used as a bulk-forming laxative.
Growth Patterns and Habitat:
As already discussed that it is commonly found in northern and central Asia and Europe, it is also found in North America. The plantain weed is perennial (it keeps returning). It can grow in almost any soil and grows in shade as well in sunshine. It reproduces be spreading its seeds.
Depending upon the conditions, the availability of sunshine and nutrient it may reach up to six feet in height. Generally they are a low growing plant with green plant with oval, ribbed short-stemmed leaves.
The leaves and seeds of plantain have a lot of medical uses. Plantain is one of the most widely used medicinal herbs all around the world. It has the potential to cure a lot of medical problems and acts as a relaxant and natural pain killer. Legend has it that at the time of colonization by Europeans around the world, plantain was treated as one of the most valued medical treatment method. Fresh leaves of plantain contain a high allantoin content which can be used to treat wounds, sores, insect bites, bee and wasp stings, eczema, and sunburn. Plantain is an ancient remedy which is still a very affordable and effective remedy to treat ailments related to cough such as bronchitis, tuberculosis and sore throat. It can also be used to treat toothache and is also effective in urinary tract problems.
Plantain is also useful in weight loss as the recent studies in Italy and Russia have confirmed this. In the realm of Chinese medicine, plantain is considered to be useful in curing male impotency. In United States of America, plantain is considered to be a very effective laxative.
Summarizing the above portion we can say that plantain is a very useful product, but there are certain limitations that we will discuss later on in this article. Here are a few remedial attributes of plantain.
- Expectorant – helps with bronchitis, coughs.
Fresh young leaves can be eaten as salad and cooked as potherb. Eating plantain can give us a lot og health benefits.
Herbal infused Oil:
Plantain has a very important use and this is the preparation of herbal infused oils with plantain leaves. This oil can be prepared at home by following easy method:
- Fill a container of fresh plantain leaves that have been gently bruised or crushed. Dried leaves can also be used. If you are using the dried leaves fill the container to only its half
- Cover the leaves with any vegetable oil, cover the container and let it dry in sun for a couple of weeks.
- The color of the jar contents will turn into dark green, strain out the leaves and the oil is redy to use.
This oil can be used on babies instead of baby oils or Vaseline as it is natural healthy.
Precautions about plantain:
- Medical studies have found out that plantain weed is not good for women who are pregnant.
- Nursing mothers should not use plantain without the advice of doctors.
- Inhaling the seed powder directly can induce asthma attacks.
- Ingestion of seeds of plantain without soaking them properly in water can cause gastrointestinal problems.
- While a person is ingesting the seeds, it is critical to drink large amounts of water, as the seeds absorb water in the intestine.
- The vitamin K content in plantain can interfere with blood thinning medications.
- Avoid taking plantain if you are already taking diuretics as it will result in loss of potassium from the body.
- Patients with heart diseases should also avoid taking plantain weed.
- It may cause allergy to sensitive people.
All in all, plantain is a very helpful weed and it has a lot of medicinal advantages, yes there are some harmful effects but only limited to certain people who can avoid its use.